Wednesday, September 16, 2009

full of grace


This past weekend I took myself on a date to the local movie theater for The September Issue. It was two hours of Vogue Magazine come to life. I enjoyed every behind the scenes minute. And I left with a new girl crush-Grace Coddington. Though I was half aware of Grace's contributions to fashion, and specifically to Vogue, I was not aware that most of my favorite editorials were styled by the brilliant Ms. Coddington. After seeing her work in action it all came together-her vision is something I so appreciate. The movie also touched on her interesting back story-to which I was unaware.
Grace was originally born in Anglesey, a remote Welsh island, in 1941. She won British Vogue’s young model competition at eighteen, and for the next decade lived the life of a cover girl. Her career as a fashion model was cut short after she survived a serious car accident and plastic surgery. In 1968, she joined British Vogue as a fashion editor; along with Anna Wintor, and there she remained until 1987 when Calvin Klein hired her to be his design director. She went to American Vogue the following year. Grace became Vogue's creative director in 1995, a title that she holds to this day.
















1 comment:

heather said...

i loved grace too. great post.